Tag Archives: Internet

Man raped minor he met on Facebook

An 18-year-old man is accused of having sex with a 13-year-old girl he met on the Internet.

Marvin Glavez, 18, was charged with first and second-degree criminal sexual conduct as first-degree felonies for supposedly having sex with a minor he met on Facbook.

On April 4, officers met with two minors who were watching over a bedridden woman, according to the magistrate’s complaint filed against Galvez.

The older girl told police she went into a bathroom in the residence and discovered a man standing in the shower. The girl then told the man to leave, and he did.

That man was later allegedly identified as Galvez.

Court documents state police spoke with the younger girl, 13, who said she met the man on Facebook.

Half an hour before he was allegedly discovered in the shower, he arrived at the house and told the girl “he was there to retrieve his iPod.”

The girl invited him inside, state court documents. He then retrieved his iPod and left, but is accused of having later been found in the shower by the 13-year-old.

The magistrate’s complaint alleges the pair had sex in the bathroom.

Following Galvez’s arrest, he allegedly told police he knew the girl was 13 but said the girl invited the man over and affirmed that they had sex in the bathroom.

Court documents say there was a knock on the door, so the girl “told him to wait.”

He allegedly told police that he panicked, put on his clothes and hid in the shower until he was discovered by the older girl.

Advertisements

Guam Police Face Serious Charges For Brothel Involvement

Three Guam police officers are scheduled to appear in the Superior Court of Guam this morning to answer to charges of kidnapping, prostitution, criminal sexual conduct, intimidation and official misconduct related to their alleged activities at the former Blue House karaoke lounge.

The lounge actually was a brothel, where women — mostly immigrants from Chuuk state in the Federated States of Micronesia — were forced into prostitution. It was closed in 2008.

Lounge owner Song Ja Cha is serving life in federal prison for sex trafficking and still faces related charges in local court. The three police officers — David Manila, 51; Anthony Quenga, 43; and Mario Laxamana, 48 — are now Cha’s co-defendants in local court after prosecutors added their names and charges to the original 2008 indictment.

Police Chief Fred Bordallo last month started a special investigation into the Blue House after the Pacific Daily News published several stories about alleged police involvement in the brothel, including names provided by victims.

Four police officers, working with the Office of the Attorney General, were ordered to investigate whether any police officers were inappropriately involved with the brothel.

The indictment of the police officers is a result of the special investigation, which is ongoing. It also will examine whether there was “any deliberate lack of investigation,” said Lt. Gov. Ray Tenorio.

A document was found during the special investigation, stating former Police Chief Paul Suba in 2008 ordered an internal investigation into alleged police involvement in Blue House. It is unclear whether that internal investigation was conducted or what it found. Police never revealed any findings, as required by law.

Manila, Quenga and Laxamana were arrested late Friday and early Saturday based on a sealed indictment from a Superior Court grand jury.

Quenga and Manila, who according to the indictment engaged in sexual conduct with Blue House workers, are each being held on $250,000 bail. Laxamana is being held on $100,000 bail.

The indictment lists the initials of 17 alleged victims.

All three officers face common charges, including: conspiracy to compel prostitution; conspiracy to promote prostitution; conspiracy to commit kidnapping; conspiracy to commit felonious restraint; solicitation to compel prostitution; solicitation to promote prostitution; solicitation to commit kidnapping, solicitation to commit felonious restraint; compelling prostitution; promoting prostitution; attempt to promote prostitution; criminal intimidation; and official misconduct.

Those offenses are punishable by one to 10 years in prison.

Manila faces additional charges of first-degree criminal sexual conduct and second-degree criminal sexual conduct.

Quenga faces charges of attempted first-degree criminal sexual conduct and attempted second-degree criminal sexual conduct.

Those offenses, which are first-degree felonies, are punishable by as much as life in prison.

According to the indictment, Quenga allegedly instructed a woman at Blue House to perform fellatio and to touch his private parts, under threat of arrest.

The revised, or “superseding,” indictment was made public yesterday morning, and law enforcement officials held a joint press conference at the governor’s office early yesterday afternoon to discuss it, noting they couldn’t talk about every detail because of the ongoing investigation.

“This case is not an indictment of the Guam Police Department,” said Attorney General Leonardo Rapadas, who noted the case involves three officers from a force of several hundred.

“It was GPD who rescued the victims and broke the case in 2008,” he said.

First on scene

Police raided Blue House in 2008 after a worker complained her passport was being held and someone forwarded her complaint to the police department. While there, police uncovered evidence of prostitution.

Internal police reports obtained by the Pacific Daily News state Laxamana was one of the first officers to respond during the Jan. 13, 2008, Blue House raid because he was already in the Blue House parking lot on what he said was a “police service call.”

Witnesses during Cha’s federal trial said several police officers were frequent Blue House customers, visiting the lounge several times a week, where they were offered free food and drink.

Manila admitted in federal court, during Cha’s trial, that he had sex with a Blue House worker.

Victims also reported that police officers threatened to arrest them if they didn’t listen to lounge owner Cha or if they left without settling their debts to Cha.

A federal prosecutor during Cha’s trial described police as enforcers of Cha’s illegal operation.

U.S. Attorney Alicia Limtiaco, whose office successfully prosecuted Cha, and who has been assisting in the special investigation, yesterday couldn’t say whether or not federal charges also are possible against the arrested police officers.

“Federal review is still pending,” she said.

Police Chief Bordallo said the indictments prove that police officers aren’t above the law, “and can be held accountable for their actions.”

Anthony Quenga was sentenced in August 2010 for assaulting a woman

Anthony Quenga

Anthony Quenga

A RESENTENCING was scheduled  for a man (Anthony M Quenga) accused of assaulting a woman within Guam’s United States Naval Base.
Anthony M. Quenga was charged in January 2010 for allegedly assaulting Jacqueline G. Ojeda, on or about October 8, 2009 in a location within the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S., according to District Court of Guam documents.

After pleading guilty, Anthony Quenga was sentenced in August 2010 to 30 days of imprisonment under the U.S. Bureau of Prisons. The judgment was amended by Magistrate Judge Joaquin V.E. Manibusan Jr. to reflect “30 days of intermittent confinement on the weekends upon designation by the Bureau of Prison,” court documents state.

A stipulation was entered in court April 5 to amend the amended judgment, citing the inclusion of a provision, “whereby the Court imposes a term of one year probation and then, as a special term of probation, orders the intermittent confinement as noted in the original order.”  Weekend confinement would be a condition of probation limited to only the first year of supervised release.
Because of the stipulation, a resentencing is set today at 9 a.m., before Judge Manibusan.

Judge denies officers’ bail change request in Blue House case

Judge Anita Sukola has denied bail modification requests for all officers accused of crimes connected to the Blue House brothel.

Citing a concern for the safety of the communities and alleged victims of the brothel, Sukola denied requests that the officers be released on a personal bond or recognizance.

Bail amounts for Officers David Manila, Mario Laxamana and Anthony Quenga are $250,000, $100,000 and $250,000, respectively.

Attorney Peter Perez, who represents Mario Laxamana, noted in court that his client intends to post bail. It is uncertain if the other officers plan to do the same.

Blue House Karaoke Lounge was located in Upper Tumon, Guam.

Latest meth case may be Guam’s biggest

An ongoing investigation into a suspected Santa Rita drug ring may be the largest methamphetamine case on Guam in recent years.

After federal authorities arrested Julian Robles, the suspect allegedly confessed to smuggling between 50 and 100 pounds of methamphetamine, or “ice,” to Guam over the last two years, according to District Court of Guam documents. Authorities also intercepted 234 mail parcels — each allegedly containing 16 to 20 grams of ice — in this case, court documents state.

Pacific Daily News files state the drug can be worth between $400 and $1,000 per gram, which means 100 pounds of ice could be worth anywhere between $18 million to $45 million on the streets.

Neither Robles nor two other suspects named in court documents have been indicted in federal court. Although the Drug Enforcement Administration conducted this investigation, no one from that agency was available for comment yesterday. The U.S. Attorney’s Office didn’t respond to a request for comment.

Scope of crime

In March, federal prosecutors indicted suspected drug kingpin Mateo Sardoma and nine other suspects.

During a press conference, U.S. Attorney Alicia Limtiaco said the Sardoma case was one of the largest organized crime and narcotic trafficking cases on Guam in recent years.

Courtroom allegations have tied Sardoma to as much as 4 pounds of smuggled ice, according to Pacific Daily News files. That means — if Robles’ alleged confession is correct — his case could involve 25 times more drugs than the Sardoma case.

Pacific Daily News files don’t show any record of another drug case with the same scope as the Robles investigation over the last 15 years. There have been several other large drug busts in recent years, but none of them involve more than 10 pounds of ice, according to court documents.

Latest meth case may be Guam’s biggest

Suba has retired!

Now let’s hope whomever replaces him is beyond reproach, we need a freakin boy scout right now to repair the name of GPD.

Source:  Suba has retired!

Nominee says GMH ‘killing patients’

Dr. Samuel Friedman, second from left, listens during a confirmation hearing for him to serve as a member of the Guam Board of Medical Examiners. The hearing was held at the Guam Legislature in Hagåtña yesterday.Dr. Samuel Friedman, second from left, listens during a confirmation hearing for him to serve as a member of the Guam Board of Medical Examiners. The hearing was held at the Guam Legislature in Hagåtña yesterday.

A Guam doctor yesterday told lawmakers that Guam Memorial Hospital isn’t safe for patients. He said island doctors kill patients.

“The hospital is a basket case, to put it in a mild fashion. There are doctors on the island who are hurting patients, who are killing patients. And these aren’t sick patients,” oncologist Dr. Sam Friedman said during his confirmation hearing yesterday.

“There’s no accountability that I see until there’s a fuss made in the paper. This shouldn’t be happening in a Western world,” he said.

Friedman was appointed by Gov. Eddie Calvo to the Guam Board of Medical Examiners, which oversees local licensing for medical practitioners on Guam.

During the hearing, Friedman made allegations of serious incompetence and misconduct by medical practitioners on island — including an allegation that a woman recently died while in labor because of a mistake by a medical professional.

“There was a young woman who died in labor two months ago. Totally preventable case. Something that a junior medical student wouldn’t do,” said Friedman.

Friedman didn’t elaborate on the case.

Interim Hospital Administrator Rey Vega didn’t return phone calls yesterday for comment. When asked about the accusations of misconduct and incompetence at GMH, Troy Torres, director of communications for the Calvo administration, said Vega “is looking into the statements made by Dr. Friedman.”

Friedman also addressed a dispute between himself and a nurse at the hospital, spoke about his critical position on the accreditation of GMH, and explained why he gave up his hospital privileges three years ago.

Vacancy in dispute

But even before those issues were addressed, senators first wrangled with whether there was a vacancy on the board to which he was appointed.

Democratic Sen. Dennis Rodriguez, chairman of the health committee, said his office was investigating whether there was a vacancy on the board. He said it was unclear if a law passed to limit terms on certain boards, including the Guam Board of Medical Examiners, violated the Organic Act of Guam.

According to James Canto, chief legal counsel of the Calvo administration, all seven appointments have expired. The members of the board are: Joan Gill; James Murphy; James Stadler; Patrick Santos; Ricardo Eusebio; Ronald Kobayashi; and Julie G. Lujan, Canto said.

Racism allegation

In written testimony provided to the committee, Cely Mangrobang, a nurse supervisor at GMH, accused Friedman of racism against Filipino nurses.

“Dr. Sam Friedman’s behavior toward our nurses was extremely unprofessional and can even be considered racist,” wrote Mangrobang. “He made derogatory remarks to our staff of particular, negative attention to Filipino nurses. He said, ‘Filipino nurses are stupid and incompetent.’ His statement not only insults our wonderful, hard-working Filipino nurses, but also our health-care profession in general.”

Friedman called the accusation of derogatory remarks “lies” and said that his interaction with Mangrobang was limited to a single altercation five years ago.

He told senators that, at the time, he was treating an “extremely ill” patient, and gave instructions to a nurse to give the patient a drug by continuous infusion over seven days.

“I got a call from the nurse on the board that, oops, she gave the seven-day dose … in an hour, which could have been a fatal error,” said Friedman.

He said he confronted Mangrobang, as the nursing supervisor, about the error, “this woman yelled at me for 45 minutes, half an hour.”

Rodriguez said his office received phone calls and testimony submitted in response to Friedman’s appointment. According to documents received by the Pacific Daily News, approximately 95 people, many of whom said they were nurses, signed several petitions opposing Friedman’s appointment the board.

GMH privileges

Friedman also addressed concerns about the fact that he no longer has privileges at GMH.

He told legislators he gave up privileges at GMH three years ago after he submitted paperwork to renew the privilege but got a letter that said he hadn’t. He said after repeated efforts to contact the administrator with no response, he gave up.

“To hell with them,” Friedman said.

Vice Speaker Benjamin Cruz asked Friedman if it would be important that someone approved for practice on Guam have privileges at GMH.

Friedman said it would depend on what the doctor would be doing and noted that he treats patients outside of GMH. He said he can treat patients in one hour, while it would take 24 hours at GMH, and that he could do so at a fraction of the cost.

“I think when the hospital gets up to the standard of care where it’s safe to put patients in — which it isn’t now, but hopefully will be shortly –yes, I agree,” Friedman said. “I think, right now, it’s not safe for many patients to be there.”

Accreditation

Friedman also said he wasn’t opposed to the recently obtained accreditation by the Joint Commission, but said maintaining the accreditation is “costing a tremendous amount of money” and not necessarily improving patient care.

“Even though you have the hospital approved by (the Joint Commission), it doesn’t look at medical care of patients,” he told senators. “It looks at an overall medical spectrum. … It doesn’t look at medical care. That is the job of committees composed of doctors, which is not happening.”

Friedman is no stranger to controversy. In 2009 he said he was resigning from his job at the Cancer Center of Guam and leaving Guam — citing alleged corruption in the medical community and criticism on Internet message boards.